MPC5200, PLX9054 PCI Card - stalled DMA transfers

David Hawkins dwh at ovro.caltech.edu
Fri Mar 2 09:48:57 EST 2007

Oliver Rutsch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we're using a TQM5200S-Module (MPC5200) on a STK52xx-board with a
> PLX9054-based PCI card. The 2.4.25-kernel on the 3.1.1 ELDK had big
> problems to map the PCI resources of this card, so I tried the latest
> 2.6.19.2-kernel of the 4.1 ELDK. This kernel mapped successfully the PCI
> resources on this card.
> After building the latest PLX driver on the 2.6.19-kernel (I had to make
> some changes for the .19 kernel and for some litte/big endian issues) I
> was able to transfer data with programmed I/O. But as this is too slow I
> like to use the DMA functions of this device and here is the problem:
> PLX provides an example program for scatter/gather DMA. This program
> works with their latetst driver on a linux PC. But on the TQM5200 the
> 'Channel 0 done' flag of the DMASR0 register is never set after starting
> the DMA transfer. What can be the reason for this? The debug output of
> the driver looks O.K., but waiting for the DMA done interrupt gives a
> timeout, because the flag is not set. I wrote some test patterns in my
> DMA buffer before the DMA transfer and no byte of the buffer was
> altered, so the DMA engine seems not to be able to write a single byte.
> Has anybody this or a similar card running on a ppc environment? Any
> ideas what I can do?
>
> Thanks in advance and bye,

Hi,

I use the PLX-9054 in my custom boards (TI DSP on-board), and
Linux x86 host computer. When debugging, I load a simple memmap
driver, and 'tickle' the board registers directly.

There's a copy of the PLX driver in here ...
http://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/correlator/pdf/cobra_driver.pdf
http://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/correlator/software/cobra_driver-2.9.tar.gz

And if my memory serves me right, I think I wrote a generic
one that lets you map any PCI device ...
http://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/correlator/pdf/LNX-723-Hawkins.pdf
http://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/correlator/software/driver_design.tar.gz

Anyway, manually setup a DMA transfer and convince yourself that
you know which bits to twiddle, then figure out why the driver
code isn't doing as its asked.

Take a look at the COBRA driver code, it has PLX-9054 DMA control.

There might be a few clues in my docs that'll help you.

Cheers
Dave