Kernel support for the TI1520 PCI-CardBus bridge?

Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com
Fri Mar 2 06:18:11 EST 2007

Ben,

Ben Warren <bwarren at qstreams.com> wrote on 03/01/2007 04:00:27 AM:

> Bruce,
> --- Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We're designing a new product and we want to put a
> > CF card in it.  We're
>
> If you don't need hot-plugging and happen to be using
> either a Freescale PowerQUICCx or IBM/AMCC 4xx chip,
> you might consider connecting directly to the local
> bus and operating in TrueIDE mode.  This has
> limitations, but has been done many times.
>
> regards,
> Ben

Thanks for the feedback.  We've considered doing that.  We're using a
MPC8347 and have FS's 8349ITX ref design which is where we got the idea of
using the local bus.  But digging into our requirements more we found that
we want to support Compact Flash + cards in addition to Compact Flash
Storage cards.  Also, in the future, we'll probably want to support more
than one card at a time.  That's why we decided a PCI-CF bridge with two
slots would be a better solution.

A related question (since I'm new to this PCMCIA/CardBus/Compact Flash
world): what is a yenta-compatible device?  I know it's some how tied up
in all of this, but googling it doesn't give me any usefull results.  Or
is this question/thread better asked on the linux-pcmcia list?

Take care and stay safe.

bruce