lanana: Add major/minor entries for PPC QE UART devices

Dan Malek dan at embeddedalley.com
Fri Mar 2 02:48:45 EST 2007

On Feb 28, 2007, at 5:08 PM, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> Since you say no one has ever used more than 4 UARTs,
> there are two options:

People have used more than 4, but we just
allocated the additional /dev entries to cover
them.  I know of only one time this has happened.
It's such a custom case that the other device
names didn't matter.

> - Cap the driver at 4 UARTs;

Let's do this, but design the code to
allow more by just changing a #define.

> Just randomly using some extra minors that aren't
> assigned to you isn't such a great idea.

Maybe for a desktop or generic server where
you don't know what's going to be configured,
but it's not unusual to do so with custom
embedded systems.  The small experimental
or user allocations often don't cover what
is needed, so we just grab some allocation
from a device that isn't ever going to be
used on the system.

Thanks.

	-- Dan