ARCH=ppc or ARCH=powerpc

Bizhan Gholikhamseh (bgholikh) bgholikh at cisco.com
Thu Jun 28 07:41:17 EST 2007

Hi All,
Sorry for asking this question again, I am still not clear on some of
the issues.
Background:
We have developed a custom board based on Freescale reference board:
MPC8555_CDS with MPC8541E processor running Linux 2.6.11 and uboot 1.1.2
version.

I would like to update the Linux kernel to the latest available kernel
2.6.21.
Here are my questions:
1- Should I use ARCH=ppc or ARCH=powerpc to build the kernel?
2- I have seen similar filenames under arch/ppc and arch/powerpc, which
one applies to MPC8541E?
3- Once I build the kernel, could I load the kernel with uboot version
1.1.2 or not? if not what I should do?

Many thanks in advance,
Bizhan