Katmai w/ DENX git - "init has generated signal 4" error

Josh Boyer jwboyer at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jun 27 10:59:50 EST 2007

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 05:38:31PM -0400, Stephen Winiecki wrote:
> Josh Boyer <jwboyer at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote on 06/26/2007 01:12:38 PM:
>
> > Signal 4 is SIGILL, which could be returned for float instructions I
> > suppose.  Try turning on CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION in your kernel config for
> > Katmai and see if the problem goes away.
>
> Thanks Josh - that actually did the trick w/ the original distro (which
> apparently generates some FP ops).

Good, glad it's working for you.  Performance for apps that have FP
instructions will be slower than if you had a true FPU, but that's better
than not functioning at all.

> Valentine Barshak <vbarshak at ru.mvista.com> wrote on 06/26/2007 01:58:23
> PM:
> > Looks like 440SPe entry  is missing in the arch/ppc/kernel/cputable.c
>
> I'm using a git snapshot version of the DENX kernel - is there some effort
> underway to start to merge this platform support into the public tree?

I don't know of anyone starting an arch/powerpc port for Katmai yet.  And it
seems that new submissions to arch/ppc are frozen.

josh