ML403 gigabit ethernet bandwidth - 2.6 kernel

Mohammad Sadegh Sadri mamsadegh at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 27 00:53:55 EST 2007

Dear Ming,

Thanks to your comments , Our tests now give the following results:

ML403--->PC : 410Mbits/s
PC--->ML403 : 210Mbits/s

We have described the characteristics of our base system in previous posts here

In additiona we have :
1- enabled the ppc caches
2- we have set BD_IN_BRAM in adapter.c to 1. ( default is 0 )

TX_THRESHOLD is 16 and RX_THRESHOLD is 2.

the virtex4 fx12 device on ML403 is now completely full, we do not have any free block memories nor any logic slices. Maybe if we had more space we could choose higher values for XTE_SEND_BD_CNT and XTE_RECV_BD_CNT i.e. 384. Do you think this will improve performance?

There is also another interesting test,
We executed netperf on both of PC and ML403 simultanously , when we do not put BDs in BRAM, the performance of ML403-->PC link drops from 390Mbits to 45Mbits, but when using PLB BRAMs for BDs the performance decreases from 410Mbits/s to just 130Mbita/s. It is important when the user wants to transfer data in both directions simulatanously.

Thanks