Virtex 4 Avnet Mini-Module Networking.

Glenn.G.Hart at us.westinghouse.com Glenn.G.Hart at us.westinghouse.com
Wed Jun 20 04:06:18 EST 2007

Yoshio Kashiwagi,

Yes the checksum off loading is turned off.  Should it be turned on?  My
documentation says I need to use DMA mode to use checksum offloading.

Glenn

 (Embedded     Yoshio Kashiwagi <kashiwagi at co-nss.co.jp>@ozlabs.org
 image moved   06/19/2007 11:51 AM
 to file:
 pic31426.pcx)

Sent by:
       linuxppc-embedded-bounces+glenn.g.hart=us.westinghouse.com at ozlabs.org

To:    Glenn.G.Hart at us.westinghouse.com, linuxppc-embedded at ozlabs.org
cc:
Subject:    Re: Virtex 4 Avnet Mini-Module Networking.

Security Level:?              Internal

Glenn-san,

The PLB TEMAC driver is supporting checksum off loading (checksum
calculation by hardware).
If the same kernel source is used, isn't the hardware checksum
of PLB TEMAC disabled by the MHS file of Mini-Module?

BEGIN plb_temac
 PARAMETER INSTANCE = plb_temac_0
 PARAMETER HW_VER = 3.00.a
 PARAMETER C_PLB_CLK_PERIOD_PS = 10000
 PARAMETER C_TXFIFO_DEPTH = 131072
 PARAMETER C_RXFIFO_DEPTH = 131072
 PARAMETER C_MAC_FIFO_DEPTH = 64
 PARAMETER C_BASEADDR = 0x80000000
 PARAMETER C_HIGHADDR = 0x8000ffff
 PARAMETER C_INCLUDE_RX_CSUM = 1    <--- H/W checksum enable
 PARAMETER C_INCLUDE_TX_CSUM = 1    <--- H/W checksum enable
 PARAMETER C_RX_DRE_TYPE = 2
 PARAMETER C_TX_DRE_TYPE = 2

Yoshio Kashiwagi - Nissin Systems

> I am having trouble using the network on the Avent Mini-Module.  I had
the
> network working on the ML403 board with Linux 2.6.19.
>
> The kernel comes up fine with the Mini-Module and the network seems to
work
> until I try to use it.  I can configured the ethernet with ifconfig
and can
> even ping another machine on the network.
>
> The problem is with the TCP layer.  It seems almost everytime the
> Mini-Module sends TCP information the checksum is reported an wrong
(via
> ethereal).  The only thing that comes to mind is the ML403 uses a
Marvell