Status of MPC5200B FEC driver ?

Daniel Schnell daniel.schnell at marel.com
Fri Jun 15 02:49:55 EST 2007

Hi,

I have problems with the MPC5200B fec driver.

On my custom board I can successfully boot/mount via NFS. I use a 2.6.20
kernel patched with all kind of things from Pengutronix Phytec MPC5200b
tiny and patches IO collected from teh mailing list, like -rt, ata, fec,
bestcomm (from Secretlab), etc. When activating the realtime scheduling,
I undeterministically get errors like:

====
FEC_IEVENT_RFIFO_ERROR (00020000)
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0:
transmit timed out NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out NETDEV
WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
printk: 7 messages suppressed.
FEC_IEVENT_RFIFO_ERROR (00020000)
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0:
transmit timed out ...
====
The device doesn't work after these.

Thomas Gleixner meant, this could have to do with the driver not beeing
SMP safe, which would be a problem under -RT, similar to the problems he
had with ibm_emac once. I can confirm when disabling -RT and enabling
normal Linux scheduling things go to the better side again.

However if I boot via IDE I can not access eth0.  Cmd ifconfig gives
normal values as configured from the u-boot cmd line:
===
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:E0:EE:00:28:0D
          inet addr:10.100.99.251  Bcast:10.100.255.255
Mask:255.255.0.0
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
          Interrupt:133 Base address:0x3000
===

A ifdown eth0 cmd gives the output:
===
fec_close: queues didn't drain
===

Which somehow sounds odd.

Ifup eth0 cmd tells me:
===
eth0: link down
===

Output from ping is sth. like network unreachable, which I can somehow
understand if the above cmds do not work.

Trying to bring me up-to-date as described in
http://www.246tnt.com/mpc52xx/ to see where my patchset differs from the
latest, doesn't work, for the least of executing git clone on
http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git

I get errors like:

====
error: Couldn't get
http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/re
fs/tags/v2.6.11 for tags/v2.6.11
The requested URL returned error: 404
error: Could not interpret tags/v2.6.11 as something to pull
====

So I am somewhat stuck, but maybe anybody has a better idea how to get
the latest MPC5200B support or some ideas about the ethernet problems ?

Best regards,

Daniel Schnell.