Linux 2.6.x, MTD drivers and NAND flashes

Laurent Lagrange lagrange at fr.oleane.com
Tue Jun 12 01:20:43 EST 2007

Hello,

I use a Linux 2.6.9 on a 85xx custom board with a NAND flash.

This flash has some bad blocks.
NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0xec, Chip ID: 0xf1 (Samsung NAND 128MiB 3,3V
8-bit)
Scanning device for bad blocks
Bad eraseblock 8 at 0x00100000
Bad eraseblock 430 at 0x035c0000
Creating 1 MTD partitions on "NAND 128MiB 3,3V 8-bit":
0x00000000-0x08000000 : "flash partition 1".

I have selected in the kernel :
1) the MTD character and block supports for NAND,
2) the CRAMFS and JFFS2 supports for NAND.

I can erase the flash but receive IO errors for each bad blocks (that seems
right).
I can mount an empty JFFS2 partition on the NAND and untar some directories
and files in it.

I would like to generate some JFFS2 images and program them in the flash
with a character
command like "cat img > /dev/mtd/0". If I dont encounter a bad block, it
runs right else the
command fails.

This is a little bit annoying. So my question is simple :
Is there a MTD character driver which can detect and ignore the bad blocks
in a NAND flash ?

Thanks for any tips.
Bye
Laurent