SDRAM failures on MPC5200B

lokowich lokowich at acdstar.com
Sat Jul 21 01:40:30 EST 2007

We're working on bringing up a MPC5200B version of our original MPC5200
board using U-Boot 1.1.4 configured for Icecube/Lite5200B.  Other than
the CPU, the board is identical.  The bootloader crashes just after
relocation to RAM, often with a Program Check Exception, typically a
memory corruption issue.  I noticed failures at different stages after
relocation based on content, suggesting problems with upper SDRAM.  If I
force the initram to 1/2 the determined size (64MB instead of 128MB),
then everything works well through kernel load and initialization.
We've added termination resistors to improve AD signals, to no avail.
Memory tests work fine too.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark Lokowich
Systems Engineer
Advanced Communication Design