Mem-2-Mem DMA - Generalized API

Clemens Koller clemens.koller at anagramm.de
Wed Jul 4 20:11:28 EST 2007

Clifford Wolf schrieb:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 08:01:10PM +0200, Clifford Wolf wrote:
>> I've put a 'draft header file' of an api as I would have expected it
>> online: [...]
>
> Ok, so here comes the first implementation:
> (I also have other projects, so it took a while.. ;-)
>
> 	http://www.clifford.at/priv/dmatransfer-20070704.diff
>
> This is just for the MPC8349 DMA now, registers are still hardcoded in the
> driver instead of beeing taken from the platform files and support for
> scatter-gather is still missing and the Kconfig integration isn't checking
> if we are building for the mpc8349 (or even ppc) yet. But I think the
> direction of the API is pretty clear.

That looks good. It should be useful on other PowerQUICC's DMA engines
and maybe even for the MPC5200 BestComm, too, with some changes.

> The patch also contains a hackish demo client (dma_demo_client.ko) which is
> performing some dma transfers in the 256th MB of physical memory. So it
> should only be used on a machine with 256MB of memory bootet with mem=255M
> (but changing that should be trivial). The demo client shows well how the
> API works and how much overhead the API adds.
>
> Any feedback this time?

Sorry, I'm currently busy with some hardware design work.
But if you want to test some code, I can get you an SSH account on my
MPC8540 platform.

Best regards,
--
Clemens Koller