FW: Boot w/ VGA console - PCI nvidia

Russell McGuire rmcguire at uwbt.com
Sat Jan 27 12:05:09 EST 2007

All,

I have finally got my linux kernel up and working and was able to log in via
the serial port, i.e. console=/dev/ttyS0, Using root file system over NFS.
Everything seems to work fine, thanks to Leo and Kumar for pointing me to
the right /git/ tree.

Next I have plugged in a nVidia GeForce FX5200 PCI card, and compiled in the
nvidafb driver.

I can see clearly the PCI card is being detected and the nvidiafb driver is
being registerd, it can even detect the monitor I have connected.

However, when I enabled the kernel to use the framer buffer console, by
compiling in that feature, it just 'seems' to hang after the console_init
call.

I know I am missing something with either a 'bootargs' variable, or perhaps
a mis-configured set of compile options, i.e. perhaps to many frame buffer
drivers inside the kernel that may conflict???

Does anyone have a 101 on how to enable basic 640x480 or 800x600 using
either the nvidiafb or perhaps a more rudimentary driver, vga only?

Thanks,

-Russ