DTC compilations

Andy Fleming afleming at freescale.com
Sat Jan 20 10:20:00 EST 2007

On Jan 19, 2007, at 17:09, Russell McGuire wrote:

> All,
>

> Thanks for those who helped me past ARCH-ppc stuff, kernel compiles
> fine now.
>

> Next question, I am using the latest<pretty sure> DTC from jdl.com
> to compile up a sample .dts file.
>
> I noted that all the .dts files in the /arch/powerpc/boot/dts do
> not contain a /chosen node. So if I compile any of them, I get an
> error and no resulting blob file.
>

> Do I have the wrong version of the DTC? Or is this a new feature
> that I need to implement add to the .dts file I create?

Current versions "require" the chosen node.  u-boot will provide it,
though, so you don't need to add it unless your u-boot doesn't
provide it (This would mean you'd need to boot with a boot wrapper.
Or get a newer u-boot ;) ).  In order to avoid the error being fatal,
pass "-f" to the dtc.  I believe it's on the communal "TODO" list for
the dtc.  But, given the choice between modifying the code, and
adding "-f" to the command line, most people have chosen the two-
character option.

Andy