MPC83xx: ns16550.c - 'SERIAL_PORT_DFNS' undeclared?

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Sat Jan 20 07:32:39 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 12:14 -0800, Russell McGuire wrote:
> Ben,
>
> That could be the problem
>
> I am building using ARCH=ppc
>
> What is the difference between the two?

I'm not by any means the expert, but I believe that ARCH=powerpc is a
merge of 32 and 64 bit PowerPC architectures (plus all sorts of
relatives like POWER and cell), and is where 'everybody' is moving.
Many types of processors (including 83xx) have been fully transitioned
to powerpc, while others are in the works.  There are a few differences
that you'd notice, especially the requirement for passing hardware
information via device tree in ARCH=powerpc.  I don't know if ARCH=ppc
is going away for 83xx, but it isn't being maintained or updated, AFAIK.

With ARCH=powerpc, you will hopefully be able to get your board booting
soon, assuming your device tree is correct enough.

regards,
Ben