ram-disk root file system

Dan Wilson dwilson at dslextreme.com
Thu Jan 18 13:22:47 EST 2007

On 1/17/2007 at 2:54 AM David H. Lynch Jr. wrote:

>           Before you attempt to exec init, you can add code to open
> anyfile that you want on the ramdisk. opening a file requires less
> things to be right than exec'ing and that may isolate your problem
> further. I beleive you can enable system call tracing and find out more
> about where things are going off the rails.
>           You can also write a trivial hello world - one that does not
> use any libraries and very little code, and see if you can exec that.

Hello world executed, which proved that the initramfs was mounted correctly.

I then rebuilt busybox as a static executable, and now it runs and I get an
ash prompt.  I've still got some problems, but at least I'm moving forward
again!

Thanks for the pointer - simplifying back a hello world program was the
right move...

Best regards,

Dan.