Using fixed_phy with gianfar

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Thu Jan 11 01:22:40 EST 2007

Thanks Vitaly!

--- Vitaly Bordug <vbordug at ru.mvista.com> wrote:

> No, you do not miss - this is an issue. In fact MDIO
> bus was changed for numeric for gianfar-stuff, and
> has been remaining string for fs_enet. I think it
> makes sense to average this up, and will try to do
> that once will get 8349-mitx which is gianfar+ fixed
> user.
>
> The point is that fixed should be updated to numeric
> MDIO address encoding. This has to come through
> netdev, so I'll try to get it fixed by the next
> merge window.
>
> --
> Sincerely, Vitaly

Ideally (for me anyway), we'd be able to pass some
fixed phy information via the device tree, for example
speed and duplexity.  This way a board could, for
example, connect to one switch via RvMII @100FD and
another via GMII @1000FD.  Having parameters as
numeric limits this capability, but presumably a
simple encoding scheme could be make it work.

I'm sure you've already thought of this, though...

cheers,
Ben