CONFIG_BDI_SWITCH & -g

Charles Krinke ckrinke at istor.com
Wed Feb 28 03:00:50 EST 2007

Good morning.

I recompiled my linux-2.7.17.11 kernel with CONFIG_BDI_SWITCH removed
and now can step & next. I can also break on sys_init_module where a
module is loaded and its init routine invoked.

Can someone confirm the factoid that CONFIG_BDI_SWITCH may have
something to do with precluding step & next from a gdb/kgdb connection
across a serial port?

Also, it looks like the module I am interested in is not compiled with
debug info even through CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO is defined and -g is put into
CFLAGS in the top level Linux Makefile. I say this because
ppc_85xx-objdump -S module.ko does not show source lines.

Can some confirm that there is another setting somewhere to compile a
module in drivers/... with debugging info so I can step through its
module_init routine.

Charles