MPC834x global timers question

Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com
Sat Feb 24 12:20:14 EST 2007

I know this isn't the right forum for this but I can't seem to find a
generic PPC mailing list.

I'm trying to get a global timer going on an MPC834x, and the way I learn
is to just play with HW, so I've got an Abatron BDI2K hooked up to my
processor so I can just manipulate registers without having to deal with
writing code.  However, I seem to be unable to modify certain registers in
the global timers with this set up and I don't understand why.
Specifically, if a register has a bit that's a '1' following a reset, I
can't change that bit to a '0'.  This is happening with the Global Timers
Reference Registers (GTRFR1 - 4) and the Global Timers Prescale Registers
(GTPSR1 - 4).  The reset state of the GTRFRs is 0xFFFF and I can't change
it to any other value.  The reset state of the GTPSRs is 0x3 and I can't
clear the 2 LSB.  I can change any other bits in the prescale registers,
but not the two which are a '1' at reset.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Bruce