What is the difference between Montavista Kernel Source, and Kernel.Org Source

Lorenz Kolb linuxppcemb at lkmail.de
Sun Feb 18 21:20:27 EST 2007

>> I'm Going to use linux on ML403.
>>
>> I want to know, what is the difference between the linux kernel source,
>> that we download from source.mvista.com ( using git ) and the original
>> kernel source code that we download from kernel.org?
>>

> The multiple git trees hosted at source.mvista.com/git are development
> trees similar to the trees hosted at www.kernel.org/git.  Contact the
> individual developers for details on each tree.
>
> Dale Farnsworth

Oh, and I thought that development does mean something like progress.
If I'd "develop" something "new" with last change 8 months ago, I guess
my boss would not pay for that "development".

So what is the difference between kernel.org and montavista's tree for
ML403.

kernel.org is quite a bit ahead.

Personally I'd recommend Denk's 2.6.19 tree (that's a 2.6.19 from
kernel.org with some ppc specific patches, afaik) and patching the EDK
8.2 into it. That's quite a lot of work (I am just doing that at the
moment) but that's the only way to get an up-to-date system.
Currently my partner and I are working on building a minimalistic sound
driver and in some future release a ALSA compliant sound driver and a
new controller (with at least DMA support) as this is can still not be
found in MontaVista.

Lorenz Kolb