device tree / how to build/compile & use with u-boot to boot uImage?

Morrison, Tom tmorrison at empirix.com
Sat Feb 10 08:55:22 EST 2007

All,

Sorry for my ignorance here, but we have upgraded our kernel from
2.6.11.xx to 2.6.20-rcx (using a specific git-branch for the mpc85xx)
to run on the MPC8548CDS eval board (using default options provided
by this branch for this eval board). I successfully compiled/loaded the
uImage, but it hangs after decompression (with root=/dev/nfs)

Also, I was told to upgrade our u-boot source code (with another git
branch for to the mpc85xx) and successfully get to the u-boot prompt.

>From googling through the lists - it seems that I need to build a
device tree blob and pass that device tree to the kernel in some
fashion?

I tried to compile the default dts image (using the dtc compiler
installed by LTIB), but it is complaining about no '/chosen' in
the definition:

  <path>/dtc -I dts -O dtb - -o mpc8548cds.dtb -V 16 dts/mpc8548cds.dts

I've looked at the Documentation/powerpc/booting_without_of.txt,
and this gives an explanation of the internal parts of the dts file,
but it doesn't tell me how to practically pass it to the kernel
from u-boot (e.g.: load to memory - and use bootm xxx yyy zzz)

I am pretty darn confused about this whole thing. Can anybody point me
a SUCCINCT explanation of the use of a dts file (and how compile and use

with u-boot to pass to kernel)?

Tom Morrison
Principal Software Engineer

EMPIRIX