440ep/ge EMAC problems whith simultanious trafic on both Ethernet ports

Andriy Korud a.korud at vector.com.pl
Wed Feb 7 02:39:42 EST 2007

Hi,
I've noticed strange problem,
With newer kernels 2.6.18, 2.6.19 when trying to load both Ethernet interfaces (for example root FS is mounted via NFS on eth0 and large TFTP file transfer is performed on eth1), the following happens:
- either ethernet throughput is drastically reduced, pings become 1-4s (on both interfaces), however everything works;
- or "NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out" happens. With debug on I see that drivers tries to recover from this, but with no success, the only way is to reboot board.

As I remember, in earlier kernels (2.6.11 for sure) it works. Also using only one interface at a moment, no problem (24h tests, 100's of gigabyte tranferred).

Any ideas/suggestions?

thanks in advance,
--
Andriy Korud