MPC8360 : PCI resource allocate error

Russell McGuire rmcguire at videopresence.com
Tue Feb 6 11:51:19 EST 2007

I think I might be getting someplace on this debugging of the PCI slots.

I solved the erratic SLOT 3 issue, it was a hardware problem. A net was
unconnected, I should shoot the designer. Anyway, this was fixed that so all
slots are 100% consistent.

I think general issue is probably a setup problem with the PCI bridge chip.
Though I do not know how U-boot and Linux set up the bridge.

But after reading through the Bridge documentation, I have learned that each
bus must have the memory map declared in it, for all three memory spaces.
I.e. the base and the upper limit for each mem, mmio, and IO space.

When I boot into Linux, with PCI cards plugged in, and I read these
registers it looks as if the base address is correct, but the upper limit is
actually set one byte below the base address. To me this effectively
prevents all access to the memory region, halting it at the bridge chip.
Would explain why the only region I can seem to read is the configuration
space.

I guess the question is, does Linux only enable these ranges if a card is
actively using them. Or is BIOS supposed to have these enabled before the OS
gets access to the bridge?