DTS files, 83xx, clock frequencies

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Thu Dec 20 02:14:17 EST 2007

Russell McGuire wrote:

> Isn't default behavior that these fields are kept from the <BIOS> U-boot
> during boot, if a zero is present? Is there any advantage to resetting them
> within the dts file during linux boot up?

Depending on which version of U-Boot, a given property may or may not be
initialized by U-Boot.  The problem is that as new properties are defined,
U-Boot is not always updated to initialize that property, and sometimes it's
only updated on some CPU families.

The qe/brg-frequency property is a good example.  Prior to U-Boot 1.3, it was
not being initialized at all.  With U-Boot 1.3, it's only initialized on 83xx,
even though some 85xx boards have a QE.  I have a QE UART driver that looks at
qe/brg-frequency, and if it's non-zero, I use it.  If it is zero, then I take
the qe/bus-frequency property and divide it in half.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale