Help with MPC5200 + Bestcomm + Local Plus Bus.... same problem [ifm ScanMail: oK]

roger blofeld blofeldus at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 8 05:41:22 EST 2007

---- Original Message ----

From: "jan_baldauf at ifm-electronic.com" <jan_baldauf at ifm-electronic.com>

To: linuxppc-embedded at ozlabs.org

Sent: Friday, December 7, 2007 4:58:56 AM

Subject: Help with MPC5200 + Bestcomm + Local Plus Bus.... same problem [ifm ScanMail: oK]

Hello Roger,

i have read your message. I have now the same problem. I use a CPLD on the Local Plus Bus. The CPLD generates interrupts for the MPC5200B processor. Because of the quick signals, i want to use the Bestcomm unit, to push the Data ( 3 x 16 bit register) directly into the memory. I use the same Kernel. It would be nice, if you could help me, to program a linux driver for that. Or maybe you have any examples. So looking forward for you reply. Thanks a lot for your time.

best regards Jan Baldauf

------

Jan,

 I never did get my FPGA driver working with the bestcomm unit. I ended up doing a half-baked version where I would program the lpc to transfer the data into the FIFO and generate an interrupt when it finished. I could then copy the data quickly from the FIFO to memory (The FIFO interface is wider and faster than my FPGA, so I do reduce processor loading somewhat over directly reading the FPGA) That works OK for small data transfers, but is not optimal.

 In the current mainline there is support for a "gen_bd" bestcomm task which I presume is to be used for the purpose you imply. Perhaps somebody has an example of using that?

good luck!

-rb