OT: Re: solved: Re: [rtc-linux] Re: DS1337 RTC on I2C broken.

Clemens Koller clemens.koller at anagramm.de
Tue Dec 4 22:42:41 EST 2007

Hi, Scott!

Scott Wood schrieb:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 08:35:29PM +0100, Clemens Koller wrote:
>> Even if I have an eeprom which can have varying addresses,
>> I can simply tell the driver/the kernel .config what address
>> it should use...
>
> That's precisely what we do, via the device tree.  It is not practical to do
> it with kconfig.

It's propably not practical to do it with kconfig right now, but
creating a separate configuration repository with strong relation
to the kernel config is IMO the wrong way to do it.

 > Again putting aside multiplatform kernels for the moment,
> what would you do in kconfig to describe the addresses of multiple chips
> without having a fixed-size list of possibilities?

I don't see

 > How would you tell the
> kernel, using kconfig, that there's a "foo" chip at address 0x68 on i2c bus
> 0, and a "bar" chip at address 0x68 on i2c bus 1?

I would prefer to not tell the driver for 'foo' that it should attach to 0-0068
because it should attach to the first i2c bus (0) it finds per default.
Then I would need to tell 'bar' to attach to 1-0068. Where is the problem?
The 0068 is already redundant in the case of these RTCs because they are fixed.

There is already an example in the kernel for a very similar configuration
issue: see CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS_DEVICE.

The structure for this already present in kconfig, and I don't see any
road block not to be able to use it. If later on, we want to have OF to
be able to reconfigure it in the form of a DT structure, we could
still feed a tool like the dtc with the .config and generate one.

Just let me make the point clear, why I got so upset here:
Having two different non-independent repositories make the
configuration much more error-prone, especially if the second
one (the DT) is partially redundant and not sufficiently documented.

Example:
I need to use the PCF8563 on the MPC8540' I2C as well (*) - it
was just working in 2.6.22. Now, somebody

a) has to enable it in the kernel config
b) then add it to the i2c_driver_device struct in fsl_soc.c
c) then add it to the DTS.

Step b and c are not difficult at all, but completely non-obvious
and undocumented for non-developers. You actually have to dig in
the code to find out that you need it and this s****.

linux-2.6/Documentation/powerpc$ grep "rtc" *
only gives on hit in the mpc52xx-device-tree-bindings.txt (from Grant, btw.).
which could give a clue what's going on here.
linux-2.6/Documentation/powerpc$ grep "fsl_soc" *
- nothing -

The configuration process is away from KISS - I would simply
state: it's broken - or - it's a regression from 2.6.22.

(*) Patch will follow, let me see if I guess it right. :-)

Regards,
--
Clemens Koller