current ARCH=powerpc for v2pro.

Stephen Neuendorffer stephen.neuendorffer at xilinx.com
Tue Dec 4 11:48:48 EST 2007

I tried that, which essentially differed from what I was trying in that
interrupts were turned off.
It fails in the same way as before.

I've booted ARCH=ppc from your tree on the exact same hardware design,
and as near as I can tell, the code that runs in the kernel proper up to
the point where I see the machine check is almost identical.

The machine check (a trap into the Machine Check handler at 0x200)
occurs at a nondeterministic point during the execution of memset_io in
early_init.

In the kernel I have, _bss_start is c02c8000, and these are the
registers in the trap handler on two different runs of the kernel:

    r3: c02c80cc r5: 00022874
    r3: c02c8248 r5: 000226f4

r3 is the current point being initialized, and r5 is the count remaining
in the .bss.

So, what would cause a machine check in the middle of a loop, in the
middle of the almost the simplest code absolutely possible, and not on
an obvious memory boundary?

Steve