Cannot login via tinylogin on sequoia

Leonid Leonid at a-k-a.net
Tue Dec 4 07:25:42 EST 2007

I can avoid login procedure at all by replacing tinylogin call by simple
sh in inittab or by removing inittab at all:

#::askfirst:/bin/tinylogin login -f root
::askfirst:/bin/sh

I get shell prompt all right without logging. However login doesn't work
and I don't understand why.

I tried to change password using passwd (user: root, password: root),
but login still doesn't work:

/ # passwd root
Changing password for root
Enter the new password (minimum of 5, maximum of 8 characters) Please
use a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers.
Enter new password:
Re-enter new password:
Password changed.
/ # Dec 31 18:02:29 Sequoia auth.info passwd[38]: password for `root'
changed by user `root'

/ # login

Sequoia login: root
Password:
Login incorrect

Does somebody know a way to make tinylogin give out more detailed
iunformation? Of course, I can always debug it since I have source...

Thanks,

Leonid.