Using /dev/rtc causes message "system delaying clock ticks?"

melinda develey melinda.develey70 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 29 07:46:04 EST 2007

I'm using an MPC885 with the linux kernel rtc emulator driver. Because I need to wake a process every second, exactly synchronized with the rtc, I'm using the following code snippet:

/* Turn on update interrupts (one per second) */
retval = ioctl(fd, RTC_UIE_ON, 0);
if (retval == -1) {
        perror("ioctl");
        exit(errno);
}

while (1)
{
        /* This read will block */
        retval = read(fd, &data, sizeof(unsigned long));
        if (retval == -1) {
                perror("read");
                exit(errno);
        }
       /* Do something exactly synchronized with RTC */
}

>From time to time I receive the message on the subject. What's happening?

Bye,
Melinda.