MPC5200 ethernet communication stops unexpected

Eberhard Stoll eberhard.stoll at berghof.com
Sat Apr 28 03:09:19 EST 2007

Hi,
> I've the same problem by running MPC5200B, but under MQX ...

Did you check/compare already some registers with mine?
Maybe it could be a hint for a hardware problem in the (RevB) processor
- or a hint for two different drivers which have the same problem :-)
>> This situation is very rare - only a constellation with 6 Controllers
>> and a special ethernet communication load leads to this fault - in about
>> one day!

No more! Now i can reproduce the fault in between 10 to 30 minutes in my
office!

Try this:
1) Use two mpc5200 boards and a pc which can telnet into the
controllers. I use 100M
     FullDuplex settings for the link.
2) Now telnet into the controllers and start on all controllers a flood
ping. E.g:
        # ping -f 10.255.226.70
    on 10.255.226.71 and a
        # ping -f 10.255.226.71
    on 10.255.226.70. So both controllers ping each others. You can
watch the
    dots in your telnet session.
3) After some minutes (about 10 to 30 minutes) one of the two
controllers doesn't
     respond any more. It shows a slow blinking rx led, the link is
still ok, but the
    controller doesn't respond any more. In the telnet session you can see
    running points on the other controller mixed with some 'E's. In the
telnet
    session on the other controller you see Ethernet is dead.
    Congretulations, now you have reproduced the fault!

It seems that this fault only occurs if the ping is done thru a telnet
session. Logging into the controller on the serial console and doing the
pings won't trigger the fault (at least not so fast). This might be a
timing issue or has to do with Ethernet utilisation. ping -f prints some
points for transmitted ethernet frames. In case of a telnet session ping
produces 2 packets at the same time. One for the ping and another for
the dot in telnet!
If i do a 'ping -f 10.255.226.71 > /dev/null', which suppresses the
output now run for hours ...

Eberhard