FDT for MPC5200, CPU revision, MSCAN

Wolfgang Grandegger wg at grandegger.com
Fri Apr 20 17:21:51 EST 2007

Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there a way to distinguish the CPU revision (Rev.A vs. Rev.B) of the
> MPC5200, preferably at run time? Or should this be defined in the FDT?
> I ask, because some settings depend on the CPU revision due to hardware
> bugs, like the clock source used for MSCAN.

I found the information here:

$ cat Documentation/powerpc/mpc52xx-device-tree-bindings.txt
The 5200B is almost the same as the 5200, but not quite.  It fixes
silicon bugs and it adds a small number of enhancements.  Most of the
devices either provide exactly the same interface as on the 5200.  A few
devices have extra functions but still have a backwards compatible mode.
To express this infomation as completely as possible, 5200B device trees
should have two items in the compatible list;
"mpc5200b-<device>\0mpc5200-<device>".  It is *strongly* recommended
that 5200B device trees follow this convention (instead of only listing
the base mpc5200 item).

Sorry for the noise.

Wolfgang.