linux 2.6 on xilinx ml403

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Thu Apr 19 02:04:26 EST 2007

On 4/18/07, Miroslaw Dach <miroslaw.dach at psi.ch> wrote:
> Hi Grant,
>
>         Thank you very much for your e-mail. I have just downloaded your
> kernel with patches for ml403. In fact I have the Avnet evaluation board
> which is equipped with Xilinx cheap Virtex-4 FX12.
>
> Would you have also the .config file which corresponds to the ml403
> architecture?

The ml403_defconfig (arch/ppc/configs) should be a workable starting point.

> I have used the EDK 8.2 which generated all of the files (drivers and BSP
> definitions). In the  include file ->  xparametrs_ml40x.h there are
> however different macros comparing to that what is in the standard linux
> 2.6 (I have attached the file generated by the EDK 8.2). I have to find
> out the way how to map the addresses ?

The xparameters file generated by EDK should work with the mainline
kernel (assuming you selected Linux 2.6 in the EDK software platform
settings.  Drop it into the arch/ppc/platforms/4xx/xparameters
directory and make sure xparameters.h is including it when your board
is selected in .config

> I do not know, in addition, how to setup the GPIO to deal with the FPGA
> part of my board. The EDK 8.2 has generated the char/xilinx_gpio driver. I
> could not find the equivalent in the kernel 2.6. There are however some
> references in the xparametrs_ml403.h to GPIO. Could you tell me please how
> to included GPIO support (driver) to the kernel and how to configure it?

There is no Xilinx GPIO driver in mainline or in my tree.  You'll need
to write or port one, but it's just GPIO, it's not too hard to do.

> Sorry for some basic questions but I am just a beginner in the Xilinx
> ml403 linux programing.

No problem, but please as questions on the mailing list instead of in
private emails.

Cheers,
g.

--