Problem cloning Linus' GIT tree!

Gerald Ruescher GRuescher at dspace.de
Wed Apr 18 00:09:44 EST 2007

Dear Laurent,

> > After a while however, git exits with the following error message:
> >
> >    error: Couldn't get http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/refs/tags/v2.6.11 for tags/v2.6.11
> >    The requested URL returned error: 404
> >    error: Could not interpret tags/v2.6.11 as something to pull
> >    rm: cannot remove directory
> >   `/cygdrive/c/home/git/linux-2.6/.git/clone-tmp': Directory not empty
>
> Try upgrading git to the last version.

I'm already using the latest version (1.5.1) of git but the error still persists.
A "http 404" error usually reports that something is missing on the server.
In fact, if I copy the URL above to web browser, the same error occurs.

Question:

Do
	git://git.kernel.org
and	http://www.kernel.org		<-- Note the *www*(!)

physically access the same repository?  Or is the http server maybe just
a mirror of the git server (which could mean that the two could be out of sync)

If all fails I could harass our company's network admins to open
the git port in the firewall :-) but I'd prefer to fetch the tree
via http.

Any advice?  Is there anyone else who is using Linus' tree via http?

Many thanks and kind regards,
Gerald

Gerald Rüscher
Software Development Engineer
Core Real-Time Implementation

dSPACE GmbH          Tel.:  +49 5251 1638-1826
Technologiepark 25   Fax:   +49 5251 16198-1826
33100 Paderborn      http://www.dspace.de
Germany              mailto:GRuescher at dspace.de