Patchset to establish sanity in Xilinx Virtex support

Peter Mendham petermendham at computing.dundee.ac.uk
Mon Apr 16 18:45:31 EST 2007

Grant Likely wrote:
> The Virtex support in Linus' tree is a mess.  When I ported the common
> devices over to using the platform bus I tried the use the ppc_sys
> infrastructure.  ppc_sys is intended for SoCs that have a fixed set of
> devices.  It is the *wrong* approach for FPGA support, and I made a
> royal mess of things.  This patch set fixes that problem and makes
> a number of other changes that make supporting Virtex boards easier.
>
> I do know that changes to arch/ppc are frowned upon at the moment.  However,
> 4xx support in arch/powerpc is not merged yet, and Virtex support needs
> additional work beyond that.  I suspect that arch/ppc support for the
> 4xx parts is going to need to stay alive for the next 2-3 kernel releases
> anyway while arch/powerpc support stablizes.  Getting these patches in
> will make it easier to support the Virtex ports while I hack on getting
> arch/powerpc stuff figured out.

I have applied your patches to a 2.6.20.4 kernel, along with your
SystemACE driver. I am fully up and running on a simple ML405-based
system setup with a Uartlite and a SystemACE. (I made the Kconfig
changes suggested by Dale Farnsworth to my copy). So, thank you very
much. I appreciate the neatness of your patches, the fact that I now
have early boot text support on my uartlite port and the fact that
(somehow) you've shaved a good couple of seconds of my boot time against
the Xilinx SystemACE driver. Thanks!

In your reply to Mohamed Sadegh Sadri you mentioned that you will be
publishing your GIT tree with TEMAC support.  Two very quick questions:
where do I find this, and does it support auto-negotiation properly?  I
am having serious problems with auto-negotiation and the various
flavours of driver out there.  It seems like the best long term plan
would be to use the PHYLIB support to handle the PHY side of things but
I have only just started looking into this.

Thanks again,
-- Peter

believed to be clean.