HOTO start with linux 2.6.* and ML403

Mohammad Sadegh Sadri mamsadegh at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 12 07:06:40 EST 2007

Well
If you study the posts here in this mailing list you will find all info needed

just a brief description

for cross compilation you can use eldk, use eldk 4.0 ( I was some body had problems with 4.1 )
study the installation documentation for eldk and set the proper PATH variable:

in my case

PATH=$PATH:/home/sadri/hdl/eldk/bin:/home/sadri/hdl/eldk/usr/bin:/home/sadri/hdl/eldk/ppc_4xx/bin:/home/
sadri/hdl/eldk/ppc_4xx/usr/bin:/usr/matlab/bin

then in kernel's Makefile, you will set
ARCH := ppc
CROSS_COMPILE   := ppc_4xx-

well, 2.6.20 can be a suitable choice, I have successfully compiled it for ml403 and bring it up
but at the first step i suggest you to use mvista source , downloadable from source.mvista.com ( using git )
after your first experince, you can swith to the main kernel

well, if you want i can send you my .config file ( I posted it to this mailing list some thing near two days ago ). as you know .config contains your kernel configuration so replace it with your own .config file in mvista's kernel source.

after copied the .config file, run make menuconfig and see what options are set and what not

and finally about the stuff generated by edk 8.2 , they are useless at all :D That is too funny yes?
from all of the files generated there you will need just xparameters.h and xparameters_ml403.h and nothing more
if using mvista source, you will not even need these two files the files available in the source are ok themselves
edk generated file is useful when you have purchased either one of mvista or windriver linux dev kits for ml403, which is as I said in prev posts here, unacceptable in any manner.

thanks
mohammad s sadri