MPC 8349e-mITX and MTD/Flash

Benedict, Michael MBenedict at twacs.com
Wed Apr 11 02:22:48 EST 2007

>Your settings for CONFIG_MTD_PHYSMAP_START and
>CONFIG_MTD_PHYSMAP_LEN are wrong.  And
>frankly, I can't understand where you got those values from,
>unless you created your
>.config from scratch.  The defconfig that's in the kernel is
>specifically intended for the
>Freescale MPC8349E-mITX.  I should know, because I wrote the
>code and the defconfig.

I didn't even know about the defconfig until I started looking into this
issue.  I tried to "upgrade" the .config that came with the CD but I
can't tell you how I introduced these values.  That said, I was able to
change my configuration to the values in the defconfig and...

# mtd_debug info /dev/mtd0
mtd.type = MTD_NORFLASH
mtd.flags =
mtd.size = 16777216 (16M)
mtd.erasesize = 65536 (64K)
mtd.oobblock = 1
mtd.oobsize = 0
mtd.ecctype = MTD_ECC_NONE
regions = 4

region[0].offset = 0x00000000
region[0].erasesize = 65536 (64K)
region[0].numblocks = 127
region[0].regionindex = 0
region[1].offset = 0x007f0000
region[1].erasesize = 8192 (8K)
region[1].numblocks = 8
region[1].regionindex = 1
region[2].offset = 0x00800000
region[2].erasesize = 65536 (64K)
region[2].numblocks = 127
region[2].regionindex = 2
region[3].offset = 0x00ff0000
region[3].erasesize = 8192 (8K)
region[3].numblocks = 8
region[3].regionindex = 3

Its working!  Thank you everyone for helping me figure this out.

>Having said that, it seems that the kernel now supports
>defining the physmap via the OF
>tree.  Is that true?

Initially I was going to try and define this via the OF tree.  However,
the documentation indicated that the only supported device_type was
"rom" so I did not persue that route.
	-Michael