Multiple Boards with same MAC addresses - problem.

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Wed Apr 11 01:12:14 EST 2007

Zhivko,

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 16:51 +0200, powerpc440 wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have multiple boards, based on ppc405ep (which include on-chip two
> ethernet ports). I'm configure the MAC address in u-boot and all works
> great. The problem appears when I use two or more boards in one network,
> because the MAC addresses are the same. Now I'm making a own u-boots for
> each board, but this solution is not very comfortable.
> My question is, which is the standard way to resolve such problem? I
> would have only one generic u-boot. Is this possible?
>

> Best regards,
>
> Zhivko Yordanov

Please post to the U-boot mailing list.  There's no reason why you
should need to custom build for each board.

You need to create some kind of board calibration procedure where each
board is assigned a unique MAC address, and then save it in U-boot.  If
your problem is that your unique U-boot MAC addresses don't make it to
Linux, the people on the U-boot list can give you direction.

regards,
Ben