MPC 8349e-mITX and MTD/Flash

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Wed Apr 11 00:41:23 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 09:06 -0500, Benedict, Michael wrote:
> Ben,
> 	I assume that you intended to CC the list but accidently hit
> "reply" instead.  If not, I apologize.  Thank you for all your help so
> far.

You guessed right.  Sorry about that.  Thanks for bringing it back in!

This is mostly right, but it only defines the physical mapping of the
NOR device, not how it is partitioned.  The PHYSMAP_LEN shouldn't be
zero, though.  In my case, I have:

CONFIG_MTD_PHYSMAP=y
CONFIG_MTD_PHYSMAP_START=0xfe000000
CONFIG_MTD_PHYSMAP_LEN=0x800000
CONFIG_MTD_PHYSMAP_BANKWIDTH=2

This indicates that the flash chip is mapped to address 0xfe000000, is
0x800000 bytes (8MB) and is two bytes wide (16 bits).

> After reading a little more, I suppose I am not expecting any
> partitions, but I would still think I should be able to `mtd_debug info`
> the block and char devices.  When I try, I get "No such device or
> address" errors.  Also, I would still expect something in my /proc/mtd,
> correct?  Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

I don't know for sure, but setting the LEN field properly might make it
show up in /proc/mtd.

Here's some simple code you might find useful as a starting point for
statically defining the partitions in your board code.  It will allow
you to access /dev/mtdx and /dev/mtdblockx.  I don't know if this is the
'right' way, but it works:

#ifdef CONFIG_MTD_PHYSMAP

static int __init board_setup_mtd(void)
{
	int	ptbl_entries;
	static struct mtd_partition	*ptbl;

	ptbl_entries = 2;

	if ((ptbl = kcalloc(ptbl_entries, sizeof(struct mtd_partition),
			GFP_KERNEL)) == NULL) {
		printk(KERN_WARNING "Can't alloc MTD partition table\n");
		return -ENOMEM;
	}

	ptbl[0].name = "part-1";
	ptbl[0].size = 0x40000;		/* 256 k */
	ptbl[1].name = "part-2";
	ptbl[1].offset = 0x40000;
	ptbl[1].size = 0x7c0000; 	/* rest of 8MB */

	physmap_set_partitions(ptbl, ptbl_entries);
	return 0;
}
arch_initcall(board_setup_mtd);
#endif