Powerpc newbie help

Yoder Stuart-B08248 stuart.yoder at freescale.com
Tue Apr 10 01:13:56 EST 2007

Right now documentation on the flat device tree is pretty
fragemented.  The concepts are based on the IEEE-1275
spec of which a relatively small portion is actually
relevant.  Other device types and properties come from
other 'binding' documents.

Here is a list of the documents I know about:

1275 spec:
http://playground.sun.com/pub/1275/coredoc/1275-1994/1275.ps.gz

PowerPC processor binding:
http://playground.sun.com/1275/bindings/ppc/release/ppc-2_1.html

booting-without-of.txt (kernel source code: Documentation/powerpc)
-Describes the flat device tree as it is used in the Linux
 kernel.

Device Trees Everywhere-- paper by David Gibson and
Ben Herrenschmidt-- an overview of the concept
http://ozlabs.org/~dgibson/home/papers/dtc-paper.pdf

PCI Bus binding:
http://playground.sun.com/1275/bindings/pci/pci2_1.pdf

USB Bus binding:
http://playground.sun.com/1275/bindings/usb/usb-1_0.ps

CHRP Binding:
http://playground.sun.com/1275/bindings/chrp/chrp1_8a.ps
(I think some things we may use like interrupt controller
device types came from here)

64-bit extension:
http://playground.sun.com/1275/bindings/64bitx/12756d5.ps

interrupt mappings (** very important **):
http://playground.sun.com/1275/practice/imap/imap0_9d.html

misc device types (network, RTC, sound, etc)
http://playground.sun.com/1275/practice/devicex/dse1_0a.html

Regards,
Stuart Yoder
PowerPC Software Architecture