Simple experiment with, ML403, running 2.6 kernel , kernel.org source

Mohammad Sadegh Sadri mamsadegh at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 9 19:04:17 EST 2007

Hi all,

well, this post is mainly for beginners, may be useful for some one

at the begining I was trying to bring up the 2.6 kernel on ml403, I tested many different methods with almost no success
the kernel did not come up at all,

so, I decided to first bring up the simplest possible kernel, without any special features or any drivers,
even this time I could'nt get succeed, the kernel always stopped at "now booting the kernel"

So, at the first step, I decided to make sure that the fpga bit file does not have any problems, I was not sure if I'm creating the edk project correctly, so, I decided to use xilinx's reference design for ml403 as my bit file
for elf, at the first step, I used the provided elf by reference design, I mixed the elf and bit file to make the ace file, copied the ace file instead of the ace file on ml403 card , every thing was ok, so I was making the ace file correctly

now, I had to use my own elf, at the first step I used the kernel source code, downloaded from source.mvista.com , making a simple config and building the kernel I got the elf, I made the new ace file, and again the board came up successfully.

but for the kernel downloaded from kernel.org I had the same problem as before, kernel did not go more than "now booting the kernel"

downloaded 2.6.20.4 kernel from kernel.org, I applied the .config file obtained from mvista kernel to it. at the begining phase of make process it asked me about some additional configurations which where not present in mvista source, answered no to all of them. I got the 2.6.20.4 elf and made the new ace file

kernel was now able to boot completely on ml403, using 2.6.20.4 kernel

and finally a simple question : so, there was some thing in the mvista .config file, which was not available in .config file of the original kerenl, any body knows what it is?

thanks.