PPC login puzzle

Steve Iribarne (GMail) netstv at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 04:00:58 EST 2007

On 3/31/07, Charles Krinke <ckrinke at istor.com> wrote:

> Seems to me thing you can do is find out why the telnet session is being
> rejected.  Have you done an ethernet capture?
>
> <snip....>
> It is interesting that 'telnet localhost' fails in a similar way as telnet
> across the

Ok.. This tells me it's a telnet problem.  So either the telentd isn't
starting up properly on this system OR there is some weird rights thing that
you have setup differently on both systems.

Are you using anything like busybox?  Which telnet are you using.  It's
killing me because I know I have run into this same problem.  But I am old
and I forgot what I did.  I had this problem about 3 years ago.. ugh.

To me it was something with securetty or the like.  There is a config file
that allows telnet or not.  Another thing to try is to load telnetd with
more options.  I think there is "-a debug" you can turn on and that will
turn on the authentication debugging... "-D report" should also help you
out.

I'm sure it has something to do with root not being able to logon or maybe
it's the blank password.  Create a password for root and see if that helps.

-stv

network, and I appreciate your kind hints, especially about the log file and

--
/*
* Steve Iribarne