PPC login puzzle

Charles Krinke ckrinke at istor.com
Sun Apr 1 03:06:18 EST 2007

Seems to me thing you can do is find out why the telnet session is being rejected.  Have you done an ethernet capture?

Do you have any firewalling setup?  In that case you need to make sure your rules are setup properly.  The ethernet capture should give you a clue.

Are you sure the telnetd can be found on your system that doesn't work?  What do the logs tell you on the machine that doesn't work?  I think xinetd kicks out a log file, what does that tell you?

Have you tried on the 8541,  login to the terminal and then telnet to localhost?  If you can do that, then I'd say it's a firewalling problem, if not, then it's a telnetd type of problem.

Hope that helps.
-stv
--
/*
* Steve Iribarne

It is interesting that 'telnet localhost' fails in a similar way as telnet across the network, and I appreciate your kind hints, especially about the log file and /var/log/syslog helps a bit on this problem.

When trying to telnet accross the network, syslog says

in.telnetd[]: connect from x.x.x.x

But entering root doesnt work and the host then says:
sff1 login: root
Login incorrect

There are no further errors on the 8541. When trying to 'telnet localhost', syslog says

in.telnetd[]: connect from 127.0.0.1

But neither completes the login, so although there is a clue here, the logical path to conclusion is still escaping me a little bit.

I can see that both targets have the same /etc/xinted.d/telnet file and it contains:

service telnet
{
 flags  = REUSE
 socket_type = stream
 protocol = tcp
 wait  = no
 user  = root
 server  = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
 server_args = -h
 log_on_failure += USERID
}

which I think is reasonable in this situation. So, this begs the question of what other things still bear on this type of problem. Again, I appreciate your taking the time to help me understand a bit more of how this fits together.

Charles