Need help on PPC8343E bringup

Mathews, Phil Phil.Mathews at innocon.com
Sat Sep 30 08:43:18 EST 2006

From: linuxppc-embedded-bounces+phil.mathews=innocon.com at ozlabs.org on behalf of Michael Galassi
Sent: Fri 9/29/2006 6:14 PM
To: Reeve Yang
Cc: linuxppc-embedded at ozlabs.org
Subject: Re: Need help on PPC8343E bringup

>Thanks Machael.
>
>On my flash data sheet, there are some command about security:
>
>Lock Block | Block Address | 0060h | Block Address | 0001h
>Unlock Block|Block Address| 0060h | Block Address | 00d0h
>
>So I guess it needs two write cycle to perfomr the command, and the unlock
>command should be 006000d0. I tried that but still get the same error. Bad!
>:(
>
>Another questions is that is there any way to change CPU register directy?
>For 8343E all registers are mapped to 1m starting from 0xff400000. I want to
>change on 0Xff400c08, but visionclick reject me to write on that address.
>
>- Reeve

Actually no, I made the assumption that you have two 16 bit wide flash
parts, one providing bits 0:15, the other 16:31.  Most PPC projects end
up doing this.  The write 0x00600060 ends up sending a 0x60 to the flash
on the low bits and another 0x60 to the flash part on the high bits.
The second write of 0x00d000d0 likewise sends a single 0xd0 to each
flash part.

If your tool gave you a command called mw which had a usage somewhat
like:
where size is b/byte, w/word, l/longword you might you might try:
    mw l 0x00600060 0xff000000
    mw l 0x00d000d0 0xff000000
Does that make sense to you?

PS: some people here have nothing better to do than whine about
    top-posting, safe yourself the grief and respond bellow the
    post.
PS: Technicaly this is not a Linux topic, I'm responding here
    because this does turn out to be of general interest.

-michael

Actually the comands should be:
    mw l 0xff000000 0x00600060
    mw l 0xff000000 0x00d000d0

BTW - you don't have to bellow the post, you can just type them quietly :-)