Linux BSP on linux kernel 2.6

Pradeep Sampath pradeepsampath at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 29 06:24:50 EST 2006

Hi All,

  I am new to hardware design and in general embedded development. I am trying to run linux kernel 2.6 on a Xilinx ML403 dev board. I followed the steps indicated by Ameet Patil - http://www.linux.get2knowmore.com/2006/06/30/quick-guide-linux-26-on-xilinx-virtex-ii-pro-boards-part-i/. When I bootup the dev board from compact flash nothing shows up on the serial terminal. But i see the flash download complete on the LCD display.

  here are a few steps i performed.
  1. Built the Linux BSP by downloading the ML403 EDK Embededded PowerPC Reference Design and setting the OS and Library Settings to linux_mvl31 using EDK 8.1 SP2.

  2. I downloaded the kernel 2.6.17.1 from kernel.org and comipled the image using the cross compiler. While building the .config i set the option for linux to boot from "console=ttyS0,9600 root=/dev/sda2" (since I have the linux partition on /dev/sda2). Thats probably the only difference from Ameet's page which is set to xsa2.)

  3. using the download.bit i generated above, and the newly build linux image, I genarated the system.ace file using genace.tcl tool.

  4. Copied the system.ace file to CF and powered on the dev board.

  But I don't see anything on the serial terminal and i am stuck. Could anybody suggest what i could be missing. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

  Regards,
  Pradeep