fs_enet - support for SCC on CPM2?

Pelton, Dave dpelton at ciena.com
Wed Sep 27 01:22:30 EST 2006

<snip>

> I am trying to compile for an freescale 82xx (CPM2) series
> processor, with ethernet on an SCC. (kernel 2.6.x)  From what
> i can see, in the file drivers/net/fs_enet/fs_enet-main.c,
> the config option "CONFIG_FS_ENET_HAS_SCC"  pulls in
> "fs_scc_ops" which are defined in
> drivers/net/fs_enet/mac-scc.c, but this file  does not seem
> to have support for 82xx series, failing with various compile errors:
<snip>
> It seems like these errors are mostly due to the driver being tailored
for 8xx series.
<snip>

I had the same problem trying to use fs_enet for 82xx SCC Ethernet and
came to the same conclusion.  The FCC could not be used instead of the
SCC because of pin limitations in the hardware design.  I ended up using
the "old" SCC Ethernet driver by disabling CONFIG_FS_ENET_HAS_SCC and
enabling CONFIG_SCC_ENET (Under CPM2 options in kernel config).  This
does not use the new platform bus structure, and arch/ppc/8260_io/enet.c
may require some board specific tweaks, but it does work.

- David Pelton.