Ethernet driver for Linux kernel 2.6 running on ML403

Keith J Outwater kjoutwater at raytheon.com
Fri Sep 15 09:08:37 EST 2006

"John Bonesio" <john.bonesio at xilinx.com> wrote on 09/14/2006 10:52:16 AM:
<snip>

> I don't think that there are any "version" registers in the Xilinx
> IP cores that a driver could check to determine compatibility.  That
> would be very cheap to implement in hardware and you could then
> develop more universal drivers.
>
> [John]
> We've examined doing this in the past, and gotten some push back due to
> the use of bram or other resources. Conceptually, it's a great idea, I
> just don't know if this is likely to happen any time soon.

John,
I thinking in terms of something like a 32 bit register
(i.e. like a processor's PVR register) that has a hard-coded magic number
which a driver can read and decode to determine driver compatibility.
That does not sound resource-intensive given the size FPGAs we are talking
about.  Probably don't even need 32 bits.

Keith