Ethernet driver for Linux kernel 2.6 running on ML403

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Thu Sep 14 11:52:14 EST 2006

On 9/13/06, Aleck Lin <aleck at gdatech.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm able to boot Linux 2.6 on ML403 board (with a ramdisk file system).
>
> However, during the kernel booting, it complains that "No network devices
> available," So I figured I probably didn't enable the ethernet driver in the
> kernel.
>
> >From doing "make menuconfig", under "Device Drivers" --> "Network device
> support" --> "Ethernet(10 or 100Mbit)", I checked the box of both "Ethernet
> (10 or 100Mbit)" and "PowerPC 4xx on-chip Ethernet support." I then
> save/exit the menuconfig to compile the kernel again. I've attached the
> error output at the bottom.

The virtex eth device is not the same as 4xx on-chip Ethernet, so
CONFIG_IBM_EMAC will not work.  You need the xilinx_enet driver (which
is not in mainline).  It might be in MontaVista's 2.6 tree.

I think people have posted patches for it to this list, so try
searching the archives.  (I don't have a link off the top of my head.)

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc. P.Eng.
Secret Lab Technologies Ltd.
grant.likely at secretlab.ca