How to move from /ppc/ to /powerpc/

Vitaly Bordug vbordug at ru.mvista.com
Wed Sep 13 02:20:49 EST 2006

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 17:33:16 +0200
Fredrik Roubert <roubert at df.lth.se> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a custom board on which I currently run Linux 2.6.18-rc6
> configured for MPC834x_SYS in the /ppc/ tree, which just a few minor
> changes. Now I'm interested to move to using the /powerpc/ source tree
> instead, but I can't figure out exactly what steps are necessary to do
> this.
>
> Does anyone run a MPC834x_SYS built with ARCH=powerpc?

Actually it was the first ppc board actually moved over to powerpc.

> I boot the board with U-Boot (version 1.1.4, customized), and I assume
> that I need to add some stuff for this new device tree thing, but I
> can't figure out exactly what the kernel will expect.
You'll need to replace u-boot with custom one that is able to deal with dts. There are 2 ways ATM - use bootm dts approach, which could load device tree from external source, and built-in that makes in compiled into u-boot.

Both patches against u-boot should be searched in u-boot mailing list archives. For 83xx both way work just fine.

--
Sincerely,
Vitaly