How to find I2C address?

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Wed Sep 13 00:44:58 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 10:13 -0400, Sachin Rane wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using AMCC PPC440GX evaluation board.
> I want to access serial EEPROM (AP31_U29) present on the board.
> I couldn't find the I2C address for this chip in the board manuals.
>
> Could you tell me where I can find it?

These things typically have 1 to 3 address pins that are pulled up or
down on the board, with a base address of 0x50.  In other words, it's
probably between 0x50 and 0x57.  To be sure, download the datasheet from
the chip vendor, and look on your board's schematics to see how the
address pins are tied.

There are various ways of probing the bus to get the info indirectly,
but you should really be familiar with your hardware first.

regards,
Ben