simple ELF bootloader for embedded xilinx linux ?

rimas rimas at cnmat.berkeley.edu
Tue Sep 12 05:44:25 EST 2006

Greetings,

i have been prototyping a design using the avnet V4FX12 mini module
board running linux

i have been NFS mounting my root partition for the time being but now
i want to use initrd and have a ramdisk with my root partition

i have built a zImage.initrd.elf which i can download with xmd and
run and it works fine

up until now i've been using the simple bootloader application that
comes with the Xilinx EDK to boot linux off the flash memory that is
included on the board

however the EDK bootloader needs the file its booting to be in SREC
format which takes up close to 3x the space of the ELF file.  when i
create an SREC file of the image containing the linux kernel and the
root filesystem, its too big to fit in the flash (4M).  however the
zImage.initrd.elf file is less than 3 megs in size.

whats the best/easiest way for me to boot from an ELF file in the
flash ? i'm aware of u-boot but it seems like overkill for this
application.  however if it would work and the footprint is
relatively small i could give it a try.  i imagine i could write my
own bootloader, i just thought i'd ask first to avoid reinventing the
wheel.

another somewhat related question is whether i can use a portion of
the flash (the part thats left over after the kernel/root fs image is
programmed) as nonvolatile storage using the JFFS2 filesystem ?
anyone have any pointers to information on how to set this up ?

thanks for any and all advice,

-rimas