Wireless Linux(802.11) for Embedded PowerPC

Chun Chung Lo cclo at astri.org
Thu Sep 7 11:23:08 EST 2006

Hi,

This project is my university graduation project, so it is now stopped.
(I just finished some ugly prototypes :)

As I said before, I used ELDK for my project (since I am a student at
that moment, I really do not know how to manually build/compile a GNU
cross-platform toolchains), there is no WLAN drivers bundled inside the
toolkit. Also my WLAN card is based on Intersil Prism 2 chipset, so my
only choice is linux-wlan package. I do not know the project status, but
the driver stability seems OK for me. (No crash occurred during I do so
many ugly tests :)

But the performance and the compatibilty is quite good (provided that
the PCMCIA socket drirver is working properly) for a such small system
(MPC860 @ 50MHz).

Also I cannot see any drivers existing in the upstream kernel are really
support the "Intersil Prism 2 WLAN" cards (my card is differ from those
Orinoco cards and Hermes cards, also the drivers are also differ a lot).

If you are going to use Intersil Prism 2 cards/chips, I would suggest
you to use the linux-wlan driver (but seems this driver does not support
AP mode yet...)

Thanks.

Best regards,
Lo Chun Chung